Since the global pandemic has forced many businesses to go remote, communication has become even more complicated!
In addition to Skype for Business, video conferencing features, many other video conferencing tools are available. The problem, however, is that if you don’t know how to use it, you’ll cause more communication difficulties.
Skype for Business:
Microsoft Lync (formerly known as Skype for Business) is a popular platform for collaborating with others. There are several ways to communicate remotely through the program, such as text messages, audio calls, and video chats.Skype for Business is not an easy task to uninstall. If you’re striving for a way to delete it just click here.
Here are a few of the features available in Skype for Business:
- Messages sent instantly
- High-definition video conferencing
- Contact with voicemail
- Recording calls
- Sharing files
- Collaboration via Whiteboard
- Streaming meetings online
Skype Business Vs. Skype
It is possible to communicate virtually using Skype and Skype for Business. The two are nonetheless distinct from each other.
It is meant for small businesses. It’s free to use, but you would have to go for the paid plans if you want services like mobile or landline calls.
It is intended for businesses with more than 500 employees. The software provides enterprise-level security, account management and can be integrated with other Office 365 applications like Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and more.
Versions of Skype Business
Office 365 users will no longer have access to Skype for Business once Microsoft Teams replaces it.
Skype for Business users is only eligible for this section if they have already downloaded the tool.
You can choose between two versions of Skype for Business:
Skype for Business Server
Large, highly regulated organizations use this on-premise application. Support and maintenance are needed for its specialized hardware.
Skype for Business Online
Users can access this application from anywhere, anytime! Maintenance and hardware costs are not involved here.
Skype for Business: How to Get Started
The following steps will walk you through some of the basic features of Skype for Business:
- Adding a presence status to Skype for Business
Team members and clients can communicate more effectively by setting an availability status. Microsoft’s Skype for Business precludes you from hiding your availability (or presence) by displaying different statuses like Available, Busy, Away, etc.
Changing these statuses involves the following steps:
- Log in to your Skype for Business account
- To open the status menu below your name, select the dropdown arrow in the new window. There are several status options here, such as Available: online and active, Busy: not to be interrupted, Away: online, but away from the computer. If your app activity leads to an automatic presence status set, you can use “Reset Status” for Skype. (Instead, choose “Automatic” on Mac.)
- Skype for Business Online even allows you to check the presence statuses of your colleagues or edit your status by email since the application is integrated with your Microsoft Outlook account.
- How to set up your Skype contacts
Using Skype for Business, you can add people to your contact list within and outside your organization.
The following instructions will help you add Skype contacts:
By clicking the “Add A Contact” link, you can access various options for adding contacts. Create new groups to attach your contacts by selecting the “Create New Group” option.
Type the people you wish to add into the search box in the main Skype for Business window.
You will need to click on the person’s picture in order to add them to your contacts list.
Your contact list is now ready for communication!
Video conferencing with Skype for Business:
Remote collaboration is made more accessible with the video conferencing features of Skype for Business. You can do more than make video calls.
You can share your screen with participants during a conference call or a webinar if you use Skype for Business.
For starting a video conference in Skype for Business, follow these steps:
- Make sure your Skype for Business application is open and your availability status is available.
- The “Meetings” tab will prompt you to click on “Meet Now.”
- Immediately after, a meeting screen will pop up. The invitation button can be found in the top right corner of the screen. Click on it to invite more people.
- Remote collaboration is made more accessible with the video conferencing features of Skype for Business.
In addition to video calls, you can also make voice calls. The user can share their screen with attendees during a conference call or run a webinar with the help of Skype for Business.
Scheduling a meeting in Skype for Business
If you want to plan a meeting quickly with Skype for Business Online, you can use Microsoft Outlook:
- Launch Microsoft Outlook.
- To schedule an appointment, click “Appointments.”.
- You can schedule a Skype meeting by clicking “Skype Meeting.”
- The call information will be added to the meeting invitation.
- Click “Send” when you have filled out the meeting details.
A reminder with a direct link to “Join Meeting” will be sent to the recipients at the beginning of the meeting.
Due to the disturbance caused by the recent pandemic, remote communication tools are now more crucial than ever.
Despite being a fantastic way to communicate with your colleagues, Microsoft Skype for Business does not seem like it will last for very long. Microsoft has announced that Skype for Business is no longer available. Thus, moving to Microsoft Teams would be the best approach.