Twitter features a wide variety of accounts that post a variety of tweets, photos, videos, and live streams. You’ll find accounts that promote kid-friendly content, hilarious memes, and useful information, among other things. At the same time, there are plenty of violent and adult accounts, some of which have even been verified by Twitter! For security, the company utilizes a number of tools and algorithms that hide sensitive content.
Why Twitter Marks Tweets as “Sensitive Content”?
Twitter states that this Tweet may contain sensitive content since the user has marked the media that they tweet as potentially containing sensitive material. Anyone who tweets sensitive content is required to label the media as such. Otherwise, they risk having their account suspended.
When you come across such tweets depicting adultery and violence, you will notice a warning. “This media may contain sensitive information”. Your media settings are set to warn you when media is potentially sensitive.
How to View Sensitive Content in Twitter?
Now that we’ve covered the basics, here’s what you need to do to see sensitive stuff on Twitter. Since Twitter has two versions, a web version, and a mobile version, we’ve divided this tutorial into two sections.
The first part will provide a step-by-step tutorial on unlocking sensitive content on the Twitter web, while the second section will show you how to access sensitive content on Twitter’s mobile application.
How to View Sensitive Content on Twitter Web App?
You can follow these simple steps to disable the filter of sensitive content on Twitter.
- Open the twitter.com website on a browser and log in to your account.
- On the left side of the page, you will see a number of options including home, notifications, profile, etc. At the bottom of the page, there is a button of “More” with three dots icon. Click on it.
- A list of options will appear; select “Settings and privacy” from the list.
- Click on privacy and safety from the menu to discover a variety of settings related to your Twitter activities. Select “Content you see”
- You will find a check box stating “Display media that may contain sensitive content”. If you leave the option unchecked, you will not be able to see sensitive media on Twitter however, if the option is checked, you will be able to see sensitive media.
Make sure the box is ticked to avoid getting the “This Tweet may contain sensitive content” message on Twitter.
How to View Sensitive Content on Twitter Mobile App?
For mobile apps, use the same procedure as for the web app. The only difference is that to access the side menu, you must first click on your profile icon in the top right corner of the app. After that, simply follow the steps outlined above to turn on the option of “Display media that may contain sensitive content”.